Optimize Windows 10 with Tweaks or Automatically
Windows 10 is easily the best operating system Microsoft has ever released. It is so much more stable than previous iterations and it has more features than ever before. However, you may still need to optimize Windows 10 with a PC accelerator and system cleaner utility to get the fastest speed and best gaming performance.
Improving Windows 10 with PC Tweaks vs Software
How can I optimize my computer? We have listed a few tweaks further below to help you accelerate Windows 10. However, for more brisk performance, I highly recommend considering one of this year's newly advanced PC optimization solutions to produce blistering fast speed with perfect stability. Plus it will keep your system from ever slowing down again. It works in minutes, instead of the hours upon hours that manual tweaking entails.
I prefer to control what happens on my PC and always disable startup intruders after installing software. Unless it's something important like my PC cleaner program that keeps my PC continually accelerated. All cleaning software needs to run at every startup to do its' magic. I also leave on the Logitech Gaming Framework for my mouse and keyboard, Plus i also run a custom script on startup for some modifications such as controlling screen brightness, setting the audio to a low volume, and running SpeedFan to control cooling. That's it, everything else is off. Be careful though, every computer is different, don't turn off something important.
Can I tweak Windows 10 myself? Yes, the steps below will help you adjust on Windows 10 for better performance. Don't expect massive speed gains like you would experience with a full PC accelerator software solution.
Will an automatic accelerator be better? Frankly, yes. It will automatically optimize Windows 10 for faster startups and CPU speed - plus safely scan and adjust all of the locked and hidden settings within Windows 10. These are not accessible to the average user. Even those of us that have the know-how to access those settings, always prefer using the 100% reliability of a software acceleration.
Because mistakes can and do happen which leads to devastating results. The best software we have used, will safely accelerate automatically. With a Windows accelerator program, the chances of making any errors is literally zero and the swift results are powerful compared to the mild performance gains you will get by simple manual tweaks.
Important areas to fully optimize Windows 10 performance
- Windows 10 boot to desktop: Startup Windows much faster by reducing unnecessary programs from running automatically and stealing CPU cycles.
- Optimize Windows 10 services and features: Many Windows slowdown problems are caused by itself. There are many services and features ready to go that you will never use in your lifetime - just more wasted CPU performance.
- Optimize the Registry in Windows 10: When the Windows registry gets corrupted with bad data, or bloated with defunct and leftover remnants from uninstalled software, it will slow your PC to a crawl. It's advisable to use a software solution - manual manipulation of your registry is not recommended.
Warning: While these tweaks will work to optimize Windows 10, you should not expect massive speed gains. Giant leaps in Windows performance will only be possible through the use of a full-fledged PC acceleration program that will apply high velocity performance to both your PC and Internet speed. Manually optimizing your Windows 10 computer may have negative effects, Proceed at your own risk.
Please write down any existing setting that you are about to change, so you can use the information to troubleshoot and return to a previous state if any problems occur.
Remove Splash Screen for fast Windows 10 startup
The Windows 10 splash screen delays the boot process a few needless seconds. If you don't care about the pretty animations on startup, then save yourself some time and gain a startup boost by disabling it.
- Open System Configuration aka msConfig. See the tip below on how to open it. Then simply go to the "Boot" tab and check the box next to "No GUI Boot" in the middle of the window.
- Then click the "Apply" button, and then press OK.
- Tip: Create a System Configuration shortcut by right-clicking on your desktop and choosing New, then Shortcut. Next type in or copy and paste the following;
Then click Next. Then type in System Configuration for the name and click Finish.
Stop launch delays for Windows 10 programs
Some programs need to start when Windows 10 boots. You can optimize these startup programs to load immediately so you don't have that annoying hesitation when you start your PC and your programs aren't ready. the delay is the default setting within Windows 10 to help avoid a slowdown with too many programs starting at once.
But if you're like me and you trim your startup programs for performance (as described further below in Step 3), you don't want that delay for the few you do have. If you want a much faster Windows 10 boot-up, try the following:
- To bring up the built-in Windows 10 registry editor (yes, we're going there - be very careful) simply press the Windows' key together with the R key on your keyboard. In the box that appears, type "regedit" to open the registry editor. Alternatively, you can create another shortcut as described below.
- Tip: Create a RegEdit shortcut by right-clicking on your desktop and choosing New, then Shortcut. Next type in or copy and paste the following; C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe and click Next. Then type in Registry Editor for the name and click Finish.
- Within the registry editor, open in the left-side HKEY_CURRENT_USER Then open Software, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Explorer.
- Under the Explorer entry, look for an entry named Serialize. If it's not present, you'll need to make it. hover your mouse over the Explorer entry and right click. Then choose “New" and select "Key”.
- In the little box that opens, type in “Serialize” and then click “Enter”.
- Make sure you click on and highlight "Serialize" in the left side of the registry editor. Move your mouse cursor over to the right side panel of the registry editor and "right-click" your mouse. then choose “New" and then select "DWORD (32-bit) Value”. then name it “StartupDelayInMSec“.
- Double-click on your newly created key, “StartupDelayInMSec“ and check the the value is set to "0", if not set it to zero. Done.
Reduce startup apps to optimize Windows 10 speed
Having programs running constantly in the background can cause your PC to become slow and sluggish. Many startup entries are placed there by software you install so they can run their updates in the background. Sometimes Windows 10 comes with additional software installed from many of the popular PC manufacturers such as Dell, HP, and others. Many install 30 day software trials that run at startup so they can nag you to buy the full version before the trial runs out. While you can disable startup of those aggressive programs, I simply uninstall them if I don't plan on ever buying the full version.
In older versions of Windows, the startup items were controlled through the MSconfig or System Configuration program, but in Windows 10, it has been moved to the Task Manager.
- Open Task Manager by right clicking the Windows Start Menu Icon (lower left of your desktop) or right-click on the Date (Lower right of your desktop) and select Task Manager from the menu that pops up. If it's not there, use the Windows 10 Search (Cortana) and type in the words, Task Manager.
- Extra Tip: I created a Task Manager shortcut by right-clicking on my desktop and selecting New, then Shortcut. Next type in or copy and paste the following; C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe and click Next. Then type in Task Manager for the name and click Finish.
- With Task Manager opened, click the Startup tab. Carefully check each entry and decide if you need that program running all of the time on your PC. If not, simply right click an item and select disable.
- If the description doesn't give you enough information to tell you what it is - then right click on it and click Open file location. that will open the folder that contains the program, and you'll be able to see the folder names at the top of that window to give you a good hint at which program it is. You may need to research an item on the Internet to find out if it's a necessary program to have running on startup. Windows 10 optimization software will fine tune all of these automatically, if you wish to go that route.
How I Optimized Windows 10 with a PC Accelerator
PC accelerator software will boost Windows 10 to the fastest speeds possible. It will boost overall speed for both Windows and all of the programs you have installed. Everything will run with more responsiveness, opening and closing faster, accessing memory and all drive data (hard disk and SSD) lightning quick so as to not have any more sluggish lag when doing system straining tasks such as video editing or during PC gaming.
After researching how game developers optimize their programming code, such as explained in "What 'optimization' really means in games" over at PCgamer , I realized the vast differences in optimizing a game (or any program) versus optimizing a complex operating system. If you're looking to speed up gaming performance for better frame-rates, there are a few things to consider. The settings within the actual game can be adjusted a multitude of ways to achieve the perfect state for your particular PC. If you don't want to sacrifice the quality of your gaming experience, optimizing your entire Windows environment will allow you more headroom to up the game towards Ultra settings.
Compared against performing thousands of risky manual tweaks over hundreds of hours, using accelerator software, you'll be able to safely optimize Windows 10. There are many advanced optimizations that even professional computer experts can not possibly do - which is why so many of us, optimize Windows using the System Mechanic software. It's simple to use for any one and it is extremely safe.
Optimizing your Windows 10 computer can be a very satisfying experience. There's always going to be risk when manually adjusting anything on your PC. You can mitigate that risk substantially, in fact, bringing it to zero-risk by speeding up your Windows 10 system with a software solution. When I started tinkering with computers almost 20 years ago, I was an ardent Windows tweaker.
However, once I stumbled across my first system utility program. I never returned to dangerous tweaking. Today's advanced PC optimizer software solutions have grown from the simple utilities of yesteryear. It's certainly the most cost-effective upgrade you can make to your PC - especially compared to expensive hardware components.
Best PC Optimizer 2018
- Windows Tune-Up Utilities
- Optimize Windows 10