Reviews of Windows System Tools and PC Utility Software
It's been a busy few months reviewing and rating all of the latest Windows system tools software for 2018-2019.
We tried and tested the best Windows system utilities tuneup programs available to see which are the most effective in various categories.
Hours upon hours have gone into the results you see here today. Every month we re-evaluate the scores and make adjustments as necessary. By choosing any of the PC optimizer software listed in our reviews, you will get an optimization program that is safe and effective.
Of course, the higher up you go in our list, the better Windows optimization you will experience. Based on the curve of reduced performance, I would recommend staying within the top 3 programs, but all of these are excellent solutions to consider. They all include some form of Internet optimizer to help boost online speed.
Windows System Tools Reviews
The best PC utility software downloads for Windows 7, 8, and 10
Our best PC optimizer award winner. Accelerated speeds are easy to achieve with System Mechanic's Pro version. Also maintained 100% stability.
Whether you choose the Regular or Pro edition, you'll achieve faster PC and Internet speed. The Pro version really helped a lot with video buffering issues while watching movies online.
We prefer the SM Pro version due to the extra features such as a very robust, yet lightweight Internet security component. Our opinion - this is the top Windows and internet optimizer period.
- From Windows startup to shutdown and everywhere in between, your PC and Internet will be faster.
- We prefer the SM Pro version due to the extra optimization and slowdown prevention.
Conclusion: This is the most advanced and stable PC optimizer we used. Incredible speed results for both your computer system and Internet.
Winner of our "Best Windows 10 Repair Utility", Wise Care 365 will fix just about any PC problem you will ever encounter.
If you have Windows problems or just want to make sure you never do, get Wise Care 365. Also does a detailed optimization.
- Never have we seen such a comprehensive and effective array of utilities for Windows systems.
- Goes beyond a full and complete fix, by preventing any further problems down the road. If you have PC problems, Wise Care 365 can help immensely.
Conclusion: Will deliver state of the art Windows repair functionality but you also get that with System Mechanic Pro plus much better optimization.
Years ago, I heard a few people discussing Glarys Utilities but I always thought it was a small time product. I was wrong.
This is an decent PC optimization suite that deserves serious consideration if you want to manually tinker with your Windows 10 computer.
Although, if you want extreme speed increases, there are better Windows optimizers out there. With a very organized layout, the program is easy to understand and produces decent results.
- With a very organized layout, this utility program is easy to understand and produces decent results.
- A multitude of options presented in an almost overwhelming interface. The vast array of settings are a good thing, but others keep them more organized and cleaner.
Conclusion: I'm a tweaker by nature, so the multitude of adjustments included in Glary Utilities thrilled me at first glance. Unfortunately, the results and the overly complex menu soon left me wanting a more advanced and automatic solution.
Steady performance is the mantra for WinOptimizer. This Windows 10 optimizer will stabilize your PC and prevent errors and problems from proliferating in the future.
With it you'll perform deep tuneups to make your system speedy and more efficient.
While it doesn't have the same power as others in our list, it still does the job of optimizing your Windows 10 install, safely and adequately.
- With it you'll perform deep tuneups to make your system speedy and more efficient.
- While it doesn't have the same power as others in our list, it still does the job of optimizing your Windows' install, safely and adequately.
Conclusion: A good Windows optimization program but it misses out on many of the additional and key advanced features of some of the better choices.
One of the best automatic optimizers for Windows. the only thing holding it back in our eyes is it's more geared towards ease-of-use than optimization power.
AmigaBit utilities have been around a long time. Over a decade ago, they were the go to programs for many users. While many other developers have since passed then with more advanced products, they're still a great choice, especially if you're comfortable with their simple, easy interfaces.
- PowerBooster is the choice for those who want quick results but don't want to dig into manual settings.
- A perfect computer tool for new Windows users, but experienced users may also enjoy its' simple road to PC optimization. Although better results can be found elsewhere.
Conclusion: If you're new to the Windows computing world, you may want a soft introduction to optimization with PowerBooster - but before long you may crave the power of a better option. And really, none of these are that difficult to use.
This utilities and tools program has been around for a long time. It was one of the first I used decades ago.
The good news is it's still an effective cleaning solution for your Windows' computer, but it lacks some of the advanced optimization functionality of the more heavily featured optimizers.
- Ends the frustration of system problems and annoying errors.
- Has profiles that are preset to easily choose the right performance option for your particular needs.
Conclusion: If it was 20 years ago, I would say this is the best tool to install on your PC to keep it running perfectly. However, times have changed and while this is still a great system cleaner, if you're looking for extreme optimization, Norton Utilities comes up a little short.
Our choice for "Best Value Windows Optimizer" unless our leader System Mechanic is on sale.
The Ultimate version has extra features such as a very robust, yet lightweight Internet security component. Our opinion - this is a great optimizer at a reasonable cost.
- Whether you choose the Pro or Ultimate edition, your Windows system speed will reach higher levels.
Conclusion: Formerly a leader in years gone by. However, better optimization software has passed it and now it lies in the middle ground. If you're familiar with it, you may want to consider getting it, but you'll always have that nagging feeling, there's a better Windows 10 optimizer out there.
From the makers of excellent security products comes this excellent tuning program for your Windows computer.
While not one of our overall favorites, AVG PC Tuneup still does a good job of optimizing and cleaning your PC of junk files and data bloat.
- Includes a "Fix Problems" utility to scan and repair your PC..
- Laptop users will appreciate the longer battery life function that can help you get a longer time between charges.
Conclusion: Works with Windows computer and there's also editions available for Android and Mac devices. AVG has an incredible looking interface. In the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and increased speed, full repair, and stability are the most beautiful to us - and you'll have to look elsewhere for all of that.
One of the most popular cleaning utilities for years, now the Pro version offers a few more features for those who want to pay a little extra for a little more.
More cleaner than speed optimizer, CCleaner Pro will remove needless files, and other junk data that can accumulate on your system over time. Cleaning those files can lead to minor speed improvements.
- Erases browser cookies for improved privacy and less corporate tracking.
- Registry Cleaner can remove remnants left over from uninstalled programs.
Conclusion: I was a CCleaner user for years and loved the easy cleaning functionality. However, as a speed optimization program it comes up short. It's also not as effective in repairing your PC as the more dedicated full system repair utilities built in the higher end PC optimizers. I only recommend CCleaner Pro to long time users of the regular CCleaner program who want to support the developers.
A comprehensive selection of Windows 10 utilities to help fix your PC of any problems, even optimize, and speed up your system.
You will also be able to schedule maintenance at a time of your choosing. After working with WinUtilities for a few minutes, you'll have a more stable and faster PC.
- Includes a full regiment to clean the registry, temp files, erase apps, web history and cache. You will also be able to schedule maintenance.
- Very well designed and certainly easy to use - accolades to the developers.
Conclusion: We're getting low on the list, but WinUtilities is still a great Windows 10 optimizer. It's just that the competition is fierce and there are better options out there.
Community driven utilities allows you to use suggestions from other PC users with systems that are a close match to yours. the boost you achieve will be dependant on how much your computer has slowed down over the years. It will bring your computer back to an almost new state.
SlimCleaner can also remove junk files and crud on your hard dives or SSDs.
- The online dependancy is a little concerning and doesn't really add much.
- Performance Boost mode gives your system a subtle improvement.
- Optimizes your Windows startup for improved boot speed.
Conclusion: I don't really like it when programs want to use the Internet to access or send info from my computer. You have to gain enormous trust to let anyone or a company do that. I don't give out that much trust so easily. But if you're OK with that aspect, SlimCleaner works fairly well for what it is, a system cleaner with a few optimization opportunities from the user help and boost mode.
Claims to give the user expert control to fine tune their computer system. With the provided expert tweak recommendations, you can help your PC load games faster and slightly improve the overall gaming experience.
Cleans junk data like unnecessary temp files and browser cookies. Defragments your game files and optimizes your configuration to achieve slightly better FPS..
- Like most of these programs, it clears out useless data and files..
- Game defrag function only works on mechanical drives; not SSD.
- A lightweight optimizer that falls well short of the more advanced solutions above.
Conclusion: If you game a lot and need a tiny boost to performance to put you over the edge to set your games to a higher detail, it may be worth considering. But with so many more effective software apps available that do a much more thorough optimization, it's difficult to recommend Razer Cortex System booster.
Comodo PC Tuneup has a "Fix all Problems" button to help you easily repair any issues you're experiencing on your system.
The Windows optimizations to gain performance are a little lacking, but there is a security optimization module that can help you keep your computer in a safer state.
- Includes a Windows start tuner that boots Windows faster.
- Malware scan to find and remove malicious code that may have crept on to your PC.
Conclusion: Comodo PC Tuneup is a good all around cleaning utility for Windows, but not very effective for a full scale optimization. It will give you a better startup with Windows and a less crowded drive, but it will not give you the better performance and repair options of the higher-rated optimizers.
Delivers a strong Windows 10 optimization for your PC in an extremely safe and effective manner.
Almost 10 years ago, Uniblue's other tune up utilities program was one of my favorites, SpeedUpMyPC. But time has ticked away and while this new iteration is certainly a fine Windows 10 optimizer, we prefer others on top of our list.
- While it lacks some of the more advanced features of our other top selections, it will be an adequate choice for anyone who doesn't want to adjust numerous settings.
- Under the colorful design is a software solution that struggled to compete with the better utilities we reviewed.
Conclusion: Many better solutions exist. An average performer with a great-looking and smooth interface. If a colorfully designed interface is important to you, it may be worth a look.
Optimization and ease-of-use go hand in hand with the BoostSpeed optimizer.
Will also clean out junk files from your data drives and helps to alleviate many (but not all) problems within Windows 10
- Has an excellent interface that is beautifully designed.
- Unfortunately, the overall performance of the software is a bit lacking compared to others we tested.
Conclusion: Once a leader in optimization, it has fallen over the years. Some have had issues uninstalling BoostSpeed, so I urge caution until those issues are fixed.
The Advanced System Optimizer aims at being a single-click optimizer. Includes an easy to set scheduling option to prep your machine for continual optimization.
For more advanced users or the more daring, there's a few tools and utilities. As always though, proceed with caution, as the manual settings can be a bit tricky.
Performed excellent in the Windows optimization category.
- A fan of the very friendly developers at SysTweak, I have nothing but positive things to say about Advanced System optimizer. It's a great optimizer.
- Amazingly fierce competition puts a great program like this, lower on the list.
Conclusion: An outstanding Windows 10 optimizer that lacks the Internet optimization that many of the others offer. I really liked ASO, but I just prefer other options a little more. But if you're a fan of SysTweak, this may be for you.
If you're comfortable operating your computer programs from an online cloud, you'll be interested in Cloud System Booster. Personally, I'm not a fan of releasing control over to a program to continually access the Internet at will.
Provides a boost to your CPU and RAM while also doing a formidable job of cleaning the Windows registry. Includes a Mini-Booster function to help you get optimized quickly and easily.
- Need to sign-in to make use of the learning database for configurations.
- Very simple and easy to use but lacks many key optimization features.
Conclusion: Cloud System booster is an excellent program for what it claims to do. But the lack of more advanced features drop its' value to us - since we're primarily focused on improving PC and Internet speed. If you're looking for a robust cleaning utility, it may be a consideration, but be aware of the online commitment you're making by using it.
More of a Windows 10 junk file cleaner than an optimizer. It's an outstanding PC cleaner with just a little bit of optimization thrown in.
Computer novices may find the program easy to navigate, and it's a great program to tinker around with to tweak your system.
- Includes a good registry cleaner that can safely reduce the size of your registry.
Conclusion: A good Windows 10 optimizer, but the lack of effective Windows optimization results, kept it from rating higher.
Unbiased Reviews, Comparisons, and Real Testing
First, a little about me. Almost 20 years ago, I downloaded my first computer cleaning tool, the old Norton's Utilities. it was a good program but complicated to use. Today's Windows 10 optimizers are much more advanced to do a lot more than just clean the junk and crud from your system.
Over the years, I have tried, tested, and researched all of the optimizing and cleaning programs available to improve my PC and Internet performance in Windows 10. There have been some tough times with junkware, amateur programming code, and ransomware.
The reward I get from reviewing Windows optimization software is showcasing the real programs that work as advertised - plus I get to warn people of any scams currently circulating. We take great pride in providing you with unbiased reviews as we compare the true strengths of each program while pointing out any weaknesses.
We use a multitude of computers (desktops and notebooks) to research, test, and evaluate each software we review. From an already fast Windows 10 gaming PC to my old Windows 7 work computer, we have boosted speed in both of these systems through optimization and cleaning software. Of course, our current favorite optimizer for Windows is System Mechanic Pro, as it does both of these at the highest level, in one easy to use software suite.
Best PC Optimizer 2018